Millom Baptist Church Extract from Millom News. 82nd Anniversary Services, Baptist Chapel, 2nd paragraph:
The church has made much progress since it was opened in 1867. In the year 1866 there came to stay in Millom one Thomas Greig, his wife and family, who were members of the Baptist church in Coniston. These two were the pioneers of the Baptist church in Millom which was founded a year after their arrival. In 1867 they commenced services in the Baptist interest in a cottage house at Mainsgate. This house was near the old wooden sea-wall, and is now non-existant. It was used by the Baptists for some time and was later a hospital for workers at Hodbarrow mine. A small congregation was gathered together and a Sunday school started. A small chapel was built at Haverigg at what is now known as Caines Cottages. This was opened in 1869 and the following year the first two converts were baptised in Haverigg beck. Five years later the present premises in Crown St were opened, and there the members of the Baptist community in Millom and district have worshipped ever since.
We have found this old picture of the church in an old magazine – the picture is dated 1902.
(The stone laid by “Lily Swindale” on behalf of the Sunday school, is still legible. Chapel across the road from No 4 Crown St where the family lived. Thomas built the organ and played for many years; my mother continued playing the organ after his death – Joan Shrewsbury)
Extract from Barrow News, Saturday 16 August 1884
A NEW BAPTIST CHAPEL— On Saturday last the foundation stone of a new Baptist chapel was laid at Millom on a piece of land kindly given by Mrs. King. A public tea was provided in the afternoon in the Wesleyan Chapel, kindly lent for the occasion. The chapel was well filled. Mr. Hughes and the members of the Baptist Tabernacle Church, Barrow, went out in good force to assist their friends at Millom. At five o’clock seven or eight hundred people had gathered in front of the new chapel to witness the ceremony of laying the memorial stone. The White Ribbon Brass Band, which had played several times in front of the Wesleyan Chapel, now came and placed themselves near the platform in front of the new building, and enlivened the proceedings by playing in excellent style several choice selections of music. The Rev. James McNab, pastor of the Baptist Church, presented Mr. Massicks with a beautiful silver trowel and mallet, and in doing so spoke in the highest terms of the kindness of that gentleman.— Mr. Massicks thanked the pastor and his friends for the honour they had done him in asking him to lay the stone, and assured them that though he was a strong Churchman he was prepared to help on any movement that was calculated to do good as far as he possibly could.— After the stone had been laid, the Rev. James Hughes, of Barrow, was called on to speak. He congratulated Mr. McNab and his band of workers on the success that had attended their efforts, and on the prospect that now opened up before them of increased usefulness. He congratulated the religious portion of that community on having another place of worship in their midst, and assured them that that building was not being erected as a protest against anything that they had done, nor was it intended to be used in any sense antagonistic to the churches of Christ now existing amongst them. The Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Bible Christian ministers took part at this open air service, and again at seven o’clock all the above-named ministers addressed a large meeting in the Temperance Hall. Much interest was taken by the public in the proceedings.